Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Why My Mom is Amazing

Sooooo here I am. Sitting in the hospital AGAIN with my dad. We had to go to the emergency room last night. My dad has a really bad infection, so bad that its making him incoherent and he hallucinates. But that is not what this post is about. This post is about my mom. I am pretty sure she is one of the most amazing women on this planet. When my dad fell off the roof 10 years ago and became a quadriplegic, the doctors told her that most of the time when this happens the wife ends up leaving the husband and not to feel bad if she decided to leave my dad. She basically told them all to take a leap and has been caring for my dad ever since. There isn't enough space on the Internet to list the sacrifices she's made to do this. Getting up at 4:30am every morning, washing, feeding and getting my dad dressed and undressed every single day to start. Spending the night with him at the hospital when he is sick to make sure nobody messes him up while he is here. Staying on top of all of his different medical conditions and medications and fighting insurance companies so my dad can get the best care possible are just a few of the things she does. And forget about vacations, my dad can't travel. They don't even go to the beach. She still teaches full time too. And she never complains, NEVER. She just loves my dad and that's what you do when you love someone. I'm pretty sure the love they have for each other is celestial and I feel privileged to have grown up around it. I've only seen them argue once in my entire life.....
PLUS even though she spends about 18 hours a day between work and my dad, she still finds the time to make sure I'm doing alright. And she is always doing little sweet thoughtful things for me too. So I'm writing all of this down to remember the next time she asks me to do something I don't feel like doing. Or when we don't agree about something, or when she is trying to get me to be more Christlike and I just don't feel like it :) Thanks Mom! You really are the best!

No comments: